- 1 pound russet or round red potatoes
- 1/2 of a medium onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Peel and coarsely shred potatoes; immediately rinse with cold water in a colander. Drain well, pressing lightly, then pat dry with paper towels; place in a large bowl. Quarter the onion slices. Stir onion, oil, thyme, salt, and pepper into potatoes.
- Lightly coat an unheated very large nonstick skillet or griddle with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat skillet or griddle over medium heat. For each cake, scoop a slightly rounded measuring tablespoon of the potato mixture onto skillet or griddle. Press down potato mixture with a spatula to flatten evenly. Cook for 5 minutes. Using a wide spatula, carefully turn potato cakes (be sure not to turn cakes too soon or they will not hold together). Cook for 3 to 5 minutes more or until golden brown. Place cooked potato cakes on a baking sheet. Keep warm, uncovered, in oven while cooking remaining potato cakes. Repeat with remaining potato mixture, stirring mixture frequently. Makes 8 servings (16 potato cakes).
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Servings Per Recipe: 8
PER SERVING: 59 cal., 2 g total fat 75 mg sodium, 9 g carb. (1 g fiber), 1 g pro.