Strawberries are not only delicious and beautiful—they’re brimming with health benefits, too. The high levels of antioxidants, vitamin C, and fiber in strawberries make them a great fit for a diabetic diet. We collected our best recipes featuring the ruby red power food, whether it’s blended into smoothies, tossed into a salad, or baked into a tart.
- 1 Oil Pastry for Single-Crust Pie
- 6 cups strawberries
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- red food coloring
- Fat-free frozen whipped dessert topping, thawed (optional)
- Prepare Oil Pastry for Single-Crust Pie; prick bottom and sides of pastry generously with the tines of a fork. Bake in a 450 degree F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until pastry is golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- Place 1 cup of the strawberries and the water in a food processor bowl. Cover; process until smooth. Transfer to a small saucepan. Bring to boiling; simmer 2 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan stir together sugar and cornstarch; stir in berry mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat; stir in enough red food coloring to tint a rich red color. Cool to room temperature.
- Fold remaining strawberries into cooled mixture; pour into pastry shell. Cover with plastic wrap or foil; chill for 3 to 4 hours. If desired, serve with whipped topping. Makes 8 slices.
Oil Pastry for Single-Crust Pie
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- In a bowl stir together flour and salt. Combine milk and cooking oil. Add milk mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir with a fork until dough forms; form into a ball. On a lightly floured surface slightly flatten dough. Roll dough into a 12-inch circle. Ease pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of plate. Fold under extra pastry; crimp edge as desired.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Servings Per Recipe: 8
PER SERVING: 179 cal., 6 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 73 mg sodium, 30 g carb. (3 g fiber), 3 g pro.