Really Good Vegetarian Meatloaf (Really!)
- 2cups water
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1cup lentils
- 1small onion, diced
- 1cup quick-cooking oats
- 3⁄4cup grated cheddar cheese or 3⁄4cup swiss cheese, cheese or 3⁄4cup monterey jack cheese or 3⁄4cup American cheese
- 1egg, beaten
- 4 1⁄2ounces spaghetti sauce or 4 1⁄2ounces tomato sauce
- 1teaspoon garlic powder
- 1teaspoon dried basil
- 1tablespoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4teaspoon black pepper
- Add salt to water and boil in a saucepan.
- Add lentils and simmer covered 25-30 minutes, until lentils are soft and most of water is evaporated.
- Remove from fire.
- Drain and partially mash lentils.
- Scrape into mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly.
- Stir in onion, oats and cheese until mixed.
- Add egg, tomato sauce, garlic, basil, parsley, seasoning salt and pepper.
- Mix well.
- Spoon into loaf pan that has been generously sprayed with Pam (non-stick cooking spray) or well-greased.
- Smooth top with back of spoon.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30- 45 minutes until top of loaf is dry, firm and golden brown.
- Cool in pan on rack for about 10 minutes.
- Run a sharp knife around edges of pan then turn out loaf onto serving platter.
Tagged with: Vegetarian Meatloaf