Tzatziki, a flavorful Greek yogurt sauce laced with cucumber, is a tangy accompaniment for these high-fiber latkes. Make it a Meal: Enjoy with sliced fresh tomatoes and a few kalamata olives or put patties and tzatziki (yogurt sauce) in pita pockets for lunch on the go.
Nutirion Profile: Diabetes Appropriate Healthy Weight Heart Healthy High Calcium High Fiber High Potassium Low Calorie Low Sat Fat
|SERVES||PREP TIME||TOTAL TIME|
|4||35 min||40 min|
- 1 pound zucchini,shredded
- 2 cups shredded cooked potato, (see Note)
- 2 medium shallots, minced, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh dill, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and shredded
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
Preheat oven to 450° F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
Toss zucchini, potato, 3 tablespoons shallot and egg in a large bowl. Add breadcrumbs, feta, 1 tablespoon dill, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; toss to combine. Form the mixture into 12 patties.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 6 patties, cover and cook until crispy and browned on one side, 2 to 5 minutes. Carefully transfer the latkes to the prepared pan, browned-side down. Repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and patties.
Transfer the latkes to the oven and bake until firm and heated through, 10 to 12 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare tzatziki: Combine yogurt, cucumber, vinegar, the remaining minced shallot, 1 tablespoon dill and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a small bowl. Serve the latkes with the tzatziki on the side.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 325
- Carbohydrates: 45g
- Fat: 12g
- Protein: 14g
- Dietary Fiber: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 62mg
- Potassium: 560mg
- Sodium: 689mg
- Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetables, 1/2 low-fat milk, 1 1/2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2