- 1⁄2lb green pitted olives or 1⁄2 lbgreen olives, with pits
- 1red onion, peeled and minced
- 1clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 2slices good-quality ham, minced (optional)
- 4tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1pinch cayenne
- 2tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
For the coating
- 1⁄2cup all-purpose flour
- 1large egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2cup finely ground breadcrumbs
- olive oil (for frying)
- If using unpitted olives, pit them with an olive pitter (or cherry pitter) to keep them intact.
- Place the onion, garlic, ham, parsley, olive oil and cayenne in a food processor and pulse on and off until everything is pureed and very creamy and smooth.
- Remove to a bowl.
- Using a pastry bag outfitted with a nozzle small enough to fit into the cavity opening of the olive, stuff each olive with the filling.
- Spread the flour onto one plate and the breadcrumbs onto another.
- Heat about half an inch of olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Roll the olives in the flour, then in the egg, and finally into the breadcrumbs.
- Fry until the breadcrumbs have turned golden.
- Remove, place on paper towels to drain momentarily and serve.
Tagged with: Fried Olives