- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, finely diced
- kosher salt
- crushed red pepper flakes
- basic pizza dough
- 2 cups basic tomato sauce, plus more for serving
- 4 oz salami, thinly sliced
- 4 oz capicola, thinly sliced
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, cut into small cubes
- grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment and spray with cooking spray.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the onion, garlic, and bell pepper, and season with salt and red pepper flakes. Sauté until softened and fragrant, then remove from the heat.
3. Roll out the pizza dough and stretch into about a 16-inch square. Evenly spread the tomato sauce, meats, sautéed vegetables, and mozzarella over the dough, leaving about an inch uncovered on all four sides.
4. Carefully roll up the stromboli, tucking the ends until it looks like a big burrito and pinching to seal the edge, and move it onto the prepared baking sheet, seam side down. Brush it with olive oil, then sprinkle pepper flakes and Parmigiano over the top. Bake until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before slicing to serve. Serve with additional tomato sauce.